Looking for a easy, healthy weeknight dinner? Make a BBQ chicken salad. It was so easy and inexpensive, and, oh-my-gosh, is it delicious!
- 1 head or 2 hearts of romaine lettuce (cut, rinsed, and dried)
- 1 bunch of cilantro ( cut, rinsed, and dried)
- 1/2 cup corn (we used frozen and thawed it)
- 1/2 cup black beans (we used canned and we drained them)
- 1/2 avocado (cubed)
- 1 small tomato (cubed)
- 1/4 jicama (cut into thin strips or cubes) – optional
- 1 chicken breast
- BBQ sauce
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 Tbs ranch dressing (light or fat free optional)
- Toss the first 7 ingredients in a salad bowl with a little bit of low fat ranch dressing and a little bit of BBQ sauce.
- Cook the chicken any way you like with BBQ sauce. Here is one way to cook it: Place the frozen breast in a small saute pan with a little bit of oil, cover, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Flip over and cook another 5 minutes. Move the chicken breast to a cutting board and cut into cubes. Return chicken to pan and add 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce. Saute until chicken is cooked through.
- To make the tortilla chip strips cut the whole wheat tortilla into strips about 1 1/2″ x 1/4″. Place on a cookie sheet, spray lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, and cook in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes.